Re: LF: Ionospheric VLF propagation

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Ionospheric VLF propagation
From: Piotr Młynarski <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 00:36:02 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Paul Nicholson wrote:

I found in another paper a formula for field strength at VLF.
It uses Legendre functions to model propagation in terms of
cavity modes, combined with an empirical model of attenuation.
Formula is too long to post here but the paper is at

http://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/handle/1721.1/16973/53712465.pdf?sequence=1

Maybe I will program this if I get time, but a formula you
can run on a calculator is much nicer.

Dear  Paul, LF group
thank you for the above reference . I will also try to program these formulae Easter is coming ... so maybe i will have more time to do it. i already have some fortran routines dealing with special functions ( i use it from time to time)

During  my search  upon the VLF propagation issues i have found
another papers of J.R. Wait which could be  useful . these are:

J.R. Wait, "On the theory of propagation of electromagnetic waves along a curved surface"
Can. J. Phys.  1958, Vol.36 ,No 1, pages 9-17
{i have an access to Canadian Journal of Physics at my university library but , unfortunately ,
not  to the 50's )

J.R. Wait: "Two-dimensional treatment of mode theory of the propagation of v.l.f. radio waves"
J. Research NBS, 1964, Vol.68D, pages: 81-94
J.R. Wait: "On the theory of mixed-path ground-wave propagation on a spherical earth"
J. Research NBS,1961, Vol.65D,No 4, pp.401-410
again, i do not have access to this Journal of Research of National Bureau of Standards

as these findings are quite new i had no time to make, say, more "aggressive" search i.e. using my univ. library and ask the library stuff there to continue with the search through the library 'network' . Of course, as I will be successful with these articles ( i.e. having them at hand)
will issue you a notice.

Well I think we've squeezed everything possible out of page one!

Yes, I agree!

Here is a nice little essay to read on a tea break,

 http://web.mit.edu/sts/pubs/pdfs/MIT_STS_WorkingPaper_37_Yeang.pdf

It describes a bygone era in which radio amateurs played a
significant role in scientific research into radio propagation.

I certainly will  read it,   :)

Yours, Piotr, sq7mpj
qth:  Lodz /jo91rs/