Re: LF: KITE ANT

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: KITE ANT
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 13:06:06 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

...In Germany you can use a maximum braid length of 100m without a special licence. If 200m would be allowed, my vertical would be a 200m ;-) But with a special permission you can relatively easy go up to 300m! I still try to get that permission for the next weeks. Then, the VLF signal would even be more than 10dB stronger, what would give the chance for the UK to get the VLF signal, i hope so...

Static HV dangers are well known to all of us i assume. But the upper kV range is nothing mystic. 10kV is just a factor 10 of 1kV, just like 10V is a factor 10 of 1V. You can die if you touch a 10kV power line or if you touch a 100kV power line. So there is just that rule: Do not touch when under voltage and assure that there can be no voltage when you think that there is no voltage (measuring, earthing during operating). I've worked almost 6 years in the HV group of the institute of electrical energy systems (http://www.hst.tu-darmstadt.de/index.php?id=10&L=1) and had almost each week to work with voltages well above 20kV (up to 3MV, 1,2/50µs), so i think i have the necessary respect without beeing afraid or careless. On my hill there are no schools, no roads and no neighbours but i will keep in mind what you caution on! :-)

73, Stefan/DK7FC