Re: AW: AW: LF: "Gain" between qrss3 and qrss10?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: AW: AW: LF: "Gain" between qrss3 and qrss10?
From: Piotr Młynarski <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 19:25:14 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Stefan Schäfer wrote:

Mni tnx Rik for your answer!

No, you didn’t spoil the fun at all ;-)

I have some remarks/ideas.

The coil losses increase linear with the power but not more than linear. So, 10x the power wouldn’t decrease the antenna efficiency (if no arcing occurs, of course). If we assume an antenna, e.g. in 8m height with many toploads, then the efficiency will be poor but the capacitance will be high and thus the needed L will be small. Therefore we get a low voltage even with very high power and due to the low efficiency we will keep the legal limit. So, if one has no possibility to increase the antenna height QRO is one choice, especially when the operator is already in pension and cannot do a qso in qrss10000000000000000000000000 any more ;-)

Dear Stefan, LF group
I  did read  all the answers within the topic you've started  or , being more precise,  how to get  the 1 watt of permitted  ERP  limit  using different ideas concerning antennae, TX power, "gain" due to different modulations ( qrss , FEC related,   etc...) Of course, in practical terms an appropriate mixture of all the factors mentioned  along with propagation paths and its duration , results in an ability of  a given station to make a qso
As  we all have  also some fun  with that issue, especially looking at the qrss1//endless repetition of zeros//     so let us make this fun  to stay a little longer..
There was  one  conclusion:  bad antenna  - go for a QRO   - i would go for another extreme .. "good" antenna - go for a QRP
the lambda for 137 kHz is, say, 2200 meters, its quarter  550 meters so why not making a GP ( ground plane antenna)   :)
Assuming 3db loss of a GP wrt dipole  to get 1 watt erp we must have a tiny 2 Watt  transmitter  and.. hire a  helicopter  for  an hour or so  to rise that 550 meters of wire and stay in a suspension mode  while , at this time , one can make tens of  qso using normal  CW  ( i did not mention about  lambda/4 counterpoises )

when reading about kiloWatts of  TX power, corona effects already compared to Northern lights i  immediately thought about the 'opposite'  :)

                                                                              73 de Piotr, sq7mpj
qth:  Lodz/jo91rs/

p.s .  Does anyone know   the cost of  a helicopter rental ? ( i mean, in practice, statistical average or so)