Re: LF: Noise cancelling by using optic transmission of RX signals

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Noise cancelling by using optic transmission of RX signals
From: Dexter McIntyre W4DEX <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 08:49:52 -0500
Sender: [email protected]

James Moritz wrote:

I think the role of the ground with active whips is often neglected - the output of the whip preamp is the voltage differential between the whip element and the circuit ground, so the ground connection is just as much part of the antenna as the whip element itself is. Clearly, an electrically quiet ground is needed for the active whip, whether this is provided by the coax feeder or a separate local ground connection.

Years ago I built a simple MPF-102 active whip into a gutted VHF coil enclosure of a NMO mobile antenna. I quickly noticed the antenna performed much better when mounted on a vehicle roof than when mounted on a mast. Even when the whip was elevated up to 10 meters above the vehicle the roof mount received much better.

As for the optical link, I attempted to link a remote VLF-3 by IR back to the shack. I never got that to work very well but I feel sure someone that knows what they are doing could perfect it.

Dex