Re: LF: RE: Noise cancelling by using optic transmission of RX signals

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: RE: Noise cancelling by using optic transmission of RX signals
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 21:43:43 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=googlemail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=XDn06VThc2DVdMdaE6NNdwioKGA6lG3tJVjWbAlZSyU=; b=czEOW9n3Cy4N2QeP0fyYNESKu4N4b7gHd4DlKP5sCf93ILioEq5K/1v2sKgZP248pV wi6CT8FvkQ/rtC9RtKG1jD2Gs8njwfv+kMhuaM4BjT70lpTYTmFa1WtCaW0LMDPKohsn pOXx5PFKLvZ48HYL3NrnQAx/B4Ea6i2SRtiA0=
Sender: [email protected]
We recently installed a commercial, (Procomm)  E-field Whip at work
for HF monitoring/listening.  Its on the roof of the building, about
25m high bolted to a metal rail connected to the building steel
structure.  But initialialy as an oversight, the ground wire of the
whip wasn't connected to the building frame so teh whip was working
agains teh braid of the coax..     The lab is inside a huge brand, new
metal framed building with just about every modern electrical gadget
there is.   The crud from about 2000 PCs, air conditioning, building
management systems, security locks and alarms etc  imposed so much
onto the outside of the run of coax going to the roof, there was about
200mV of noise injected and returning down the coax inside, amplified
into the Rx.    THe ONLY HF signal that could be heard was the BBC
from Rampisham, about 40 miles away nearly line of sight.

Grounding the antenna to the metal framework of the roof platform,
reduced the noise by something like 50dB, and while its still bad,
amateurs could be heard on 7MHz.

Conclusion, don't install an HF receiving facility on a major
industrial-type building.   If you need an electrically quiet HF
receiving facility, put it in a field in the middle of nowhere.   Now,
if only our managers could be persuaded of that :-)

Andy
www.g4jnt.com

This email has been scanned for damaging side-effects by the health
and safety police