Re: LF: "Gain" between qrss3 and qrss10?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: "Gain" between qrss3 and qrss10?
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 13:26:59 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=googlemail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=YjNy5gtUe/Hb2dqT9Q2iHhGsfogqNgLvKVrCvk3Uv+k=; b=c5MCdZx1yV7YJCZ8G7ENvf7AK6WdioRIpJeHbQHCSXNkkGeSLEEUHRXFaRJsH/UCSJ /k4W3NId3JsLHEMG7Aaq43aBtVxde6TqgNqgNifhsuB8qIHZHkxasc+5O0zqBalqesfC zxg1QYxZHQbYLxf49vu0CNi07ZXOm/w11NkPg=
Sender: [email protected]
On this matter...
For the recent talk I gave on weak signals at a Microwave Roundtable (
http://www.g4jnt.com/MartleSham.htm ) I made some simulated CW in
Noise using accurately calibrated S/N levels.

An interesting finding came to light, if you normalise the signal rate
to the S/N, so making bandwidth irrelevent, most of the 'fuzzy' modes
end up with a similar capability.   In other words, Aural CW, QRSS,
SMT Hell all need a similar S/N at their respective bandwidths to
work.    The actual normalised  S/N for readability is subject to the
operator's  experience togther with Temperature/Time of
day/mood/Age/Gender/Alcohol intake/Hunger/Weather  or any other
similar parameter, but there's no massive differences between any of
them.

So its all down to bandwidth.    Even machine modes without error
correction manage a not-too-dissimilar performance once their data
rates have been normalised.

However, if you spread the signal, intentionally, by adding FEC, the
improvements can be enormous.  As I think we all know only too well
when comparing QRSS etc with WSPR, Wolf and other modes with heavy
FEC.   At least on microwaves we have the luxury of virtually
unlimited bandwidth, so can operate in a true Shannon power limited
channel to make the most of band spreading.

Incidently, the usually quoted signal efficiency used on one axis of
the Shannon curve   "Bits/second/Hz"  sounds uninspiring.   But if,
instead of Hz, you use the old term 'cycles per second', it becomes
Bits/cycle.   Which puts a whole new meaning and explanation to the
axis on the Shannon curve, and elicited an "Oh Wow, yes, that IS an
interesting way of putting it" when told to an experienced comms
engineer.    The term was actually used in Shannon's original paper of
1948, but seems to have got lost

Andy
www.g4jnt.com

This email has been scanned for damaging side-effects by the health
and safety police