LF: Re: 518khz - Notch Filter.

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: 518khz - Notch Filter.
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 23:08:35 +0100
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btinternet.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=4REHpDVc3PcGM2eyai/sCVKx3FCYgsMmxLxF+bLllO3BsWxtindOOOvqBttrkNVSalFy2JKzCSJ690lbJPrjxRq4LV91oyFh0JAFr3iygIqeuBZqp0Lo/ffa7c6yFZUZQWbYGHrWdCDWex+R+2PMyJEcUOjN9gpF0/X3hLFgDSw= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Gary see the "notch" I designed for Hugh to reduce DCF39 a little at
http://www.alan.melia.btinternet.co.uk/BR-t-Notch.htm
The plot will give some idea of the possible reduction in wanted signal. The
trick is you want the highest "Q" you can get this involved usually using a
small inductor and a large cap. The other problem is that they dont like a
low impedance load on the output so you need to put an emitter (or source)
follower before the RX input. I can only suggest try it and see. I think it
should work reasonably well, DCF39 is a lot closer to 136 than 518 is to 502
relatively speaking.  A top-coupled band-pass filter would also work quite
well but I am not sure whether you would get enough rejection on the high
side.

The LC is resonant at the notch frequency and the pot is connected to the
centre-tap.

The plot is from the (free) analyser program on my site too. There may even
be a node-list for it in the download examples.

Alan G3NYK