LF: Re: 518khz - Notch Filter.

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: 518khz - Notch Filter.
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 00:02:49 +0100
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btopenworld.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=24se9jpK1wOWErrja0ccBVD/WYU3oIqUb3/ocHtm544Ps1iQWs2JRQLwfWWPTJt6eGTLClQ9plhmChmlWrkBXOuq+enKGXXGrhEFg/CX24oBAec4aSd3mNGjEHT0gfIX0Gdt4vUigFtmkgNW0z7d/NTjd/fn3JyOqL03D9bknvE= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Dear Gary, LF group,

Since this kind of notch filter has other useful applications too, I had a go at designing something useable from available bits. I used an IF transformer from an ancient transistor radio as a parallel-tuned trap - see the attachment.The circuit is essentially an RF bridge - the1:1 transformer and preset resistor balance out the finite resistance of the trap at resonance. This is a similar principle to Alan's bridged-T circuit. With critical "safe-cracking" adjustments, rejection of 60dB can be achieved at a spot frequency, although the notch is very narrow. But >30dB can be achieved over a useful bandwidth. The 3n3 capacitors flatten out the passband near the cut off frequency and make the response a squarer shape on the LF side of the notch. The improved notch depth is traded off for higher insertion loss, but this is still fairly reasonable at around 4dB. The input/output impedances should be of the order of 50 ohms, but are not critical. You could make a better filter if the Q was higher - the IF transformer had Q around 90; an MW ferrite rod aerial can have a Q of 200 or so at this frequency.

The performance of my prototype with 50R source and load looked like this:

Loss in passband - 4dB
Response down by 3dB at 348kHz, 511.5kHz, 540kHz
Bandwidth of rejection notch at -20dB: 2.2kHz, -30dB: 700Hz, -40dB: 200Hz

Looking at G4WGT's grabber, that should be adequate to more or less eliminate the Navtex signal image. When I put it between my antenna and RX, it certainly reduced the louder Navtex signals from S9 down into the noise.

Cheers, Jim moritz
73 de M0BMU