Re: LF: 518khz - Notch Filter.

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 518khz - Notch Filter.
From: Rik Strobbe <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 23:29:05 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Gary,

a simple series L-C notch works best when
- Q is high = you need a good coil (capacitor Q shouldn't be the problem)
- the output "sees" a high impedance (FET buffer)
- the source impedance is high compared to the loss resistance of the coil (eventualy put a R of a few 100 Ohm in serie with the antenna) But it will be a hard job to get a decent attenuation at 518 while passing 501-506 without too much losses.

An alternative would be a xtal filter as a passband filter for 501-506.
If you can find a number of 500kHz xtals and "polish" them up some kHz.

73, Rik  ON7YD - OR7T

Quoting Gary - G4WGT <[email protected]>:

Hi LF,

You may have seen an image of a NAVTEX signal on my 500KHz grabber at about
506KHz. The original of this image is at 518KHz. The receiver for this
grabber is a Softrock Lite 455KHz module modified for 500KHz.

I have attempted to notch the signal using a simple series or parallel
filter but only succeeded in seriously degrading the whole band possibly due
to the bandwidth of the filter??

Is there some simple narrow notch filter which I could use to remove the
offending signal.

73,

Gary - G4WGT - IO83QP.