LF: Re: Silent majority

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Silent majority
From: Alberto di Bene <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 01:05:34 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Z-usanet-msgid: XID846NaeaFK1472X39

Steve McDonald wrote:
There is virtually nothing new to discover or invent that has not already
taken place on MF.

There you go guys. You may as well stop your 600m experiments right now as
Mal has proclaimed that there is "nothing new to discover". Wouldn't it be
wonderful if we could all see the future as clearly as he apparently does.
What an amazing gift.

VE7SL / Steve

This reminds me what Max Planck did write at the beginning of past century.
At the turn of the 20th century scientists were absolutely certain that there
was nothing more to be discovered in theoretical physics.
Max Planck, recalling the mood of optimism and conviction at that time, wrote:

“When I began my physical studies [in Munich in 1874] and sought advice from
my venerable teacher Phillipp von Jolly... he portrayed to me physics as a
highly developed almost fully matured science... Possibly in one or another
nook there would perhaps be a dust particle or a small bubble to be examined
and classified, but the system as a whole stood there fairly secured, and
theoretical physics approached visibly that degree of perfection which,
for example, geometry has had already for centuries”.

The history of physics during the 20th century did show how dumb was that
point of view...

73  Alberto  I2PHD