LF: Re: Silent majority

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Silent majority
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 18:57:39 -0000
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btopenworld.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=QPkKjcCo4wWNAtOirDCKbJjiOLCe3wHvcFtyPiBCo9vOn1UBelC/LIVj3/upGlRoXJPOAopgKaO0T99Ik8S/xJKG/iWKfRWdSbrVhzYfyrbbsWve+ewvdLKvGU80jYPeJL7cq329LzuL9K7e/jPkxoVs72LPlX1iCOfO+IkbRAY= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]

Dear Pete, LF Group,

M0FMT wrote:
Mal you've got my vote and probably the Vote of the silent majority on the Band....

This is presumably the same silent majority that complain about lack of activity. It would be nice if the majority was a little less silent, at least in the RF sense.

Ofcom have granted the 500kHz NoVs for research purposes. We each had to make an application based on what sort of research we intended to do. In mine, among other things, I proposed to investigate the effectiveness of various different modes at MF, and the application was granted on this basis. I hope to get some results, either positive or negative, that will shed some light on this subject.

In the meantime, arguments rage on, mostly people telling anyone who is doing anything on 500kHz that they shouldn't be doing it. This is not very constructive; if we expect Ofcom to extend the 500kHz deadline, and to entertain future requests for bandwidth, we collectively need to show that interesting things can be done with this type of allocation by amateurs. Most of the band is empty most of the time, so there is plenty of space for more different kinds of activity according to different tastes and interests - there is no requirement to reach a universal consensus first.

So if you are part of this Silent Majority who don't like the existing activity on 500k, get busy doing the things that you do like - and persuade like-minded people to join in. It has to be better than ranting!

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU