Re: LF: MF acty

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: MF acty
From: John GM4SLV <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 14:59:02 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

David Pratt wrote:
In a recent message, John GM4SLV <[email protected]> wrote ...
David Pratt wrote:

The definition of a Beacon is in clause 17(g) of the Amateur Licence and is covered by clause 10 and Schedule 2.

Oh and I forgot.... a beacon is (as defined) "automatic transmitting only Radio Equipment"... I guess then if there's a receiver capable (as required in the regs) of receiving on the frequency of transmission, in the mode of transmission then it can't be a "beacon" as defined.

I am sure you're right, John. The use of the word "Beacon" is a misnomer in this context and should be referred to as CQ (or initial) calls.

Dave, LF,

Yes, I agree, in so far as that's how best to describe them in strict terminology. I see nothing wrong, however, in calling them "beacons" in a colloquial sense. Then everyone understands that they may have to wait an inordinate length of time before you send "K".

Looking forward to working you when I have improved my antenna system.

Yes, me too! The more stations there are bashing away on the key the less perceived need to fill up the silence with "initial calls" - hi!

Cheers,

John