Re: LF: MF acty

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: MF acty
From: John Andrews <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 20:11:05 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

I dearly love subscribing to this list, absent the periodic "harrumps" from those insisting that most of us are well down the road to perdition.

Anyway, please allow a suggestion. I recall nothing in our regulations over here that amateur contacts must arise from a chance meeting of operators at the same time on the same frequency under conditions that would support a QSO. Assuming the same is true on the other other side of the pond, why not have some publicly-announced regular schedules between two or more stations, or even have a net one night a week? This should at least encourage listening or even on-air participation by others. Coordination could easily be handled on this mail list.

Were I an Ofcom official (perish the thought), I'd be much more impressed by a report on the 500 kHz NOV's next spring describing regular scheduled activity than by one claiming that the band always seemed dead. The former would give some hope that the band would be useful for emergency communications, a good argument for an amateur allocation.

John Andrews, W1TAG