Re: LF: MF acty

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: MF acty
From: John Pumford-Green GM4SLV <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 19:30:31 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 18:58:09 +0100 (BST)
Peter March <[email protected]> wrote:

> Here  here.
>
>   I was hoping to develop my cw skills on 500, but perpetual beacons
> mean no contacts so don't listen much any more. Sad eh?
>   73 petefmt

I've just been calling CQ, in CW, at speeds between 10WPM and 35WPM,
for almost 2 hours. Had a difficult QSO with GI3PDN at 1650UTC - severe
QSB. Other than that heard nil. Daylight conditions, can't expect much
more. At least I was having a go.

On a positive note----

I have, though, over the course of the last 2 months had over 50 QSOs,
all in CW, all hand sent, all at probably no more than 15WPM due to the
conditions, with at least 9 different stations, at ranges of between
500 and 1040km.

I still don't understand the moans of "perpetual beacons". A beacon at
least means there's a signal on the band that might be of use to
someone. Often radiated by a station that is also an active "QSO
maker".

Better a beacon than an empty band entirely. I only put a CW beacon
on if I haven't the time to sit calling CQ, but want to provide
something for the greater good. I have had very nice emails from
stations in Finland, Czech, Germany, France, Norway and others
enthusing over hearing a CW signal on 500kHz. I couldn't possibly have
done that purely from live QSOs, although I have also had mp3s sent to
me from Finland of real QSOs that have been heard over there too.

There probably are some stations that will only ever be active as
beacons, but that's often due to very difficult local receiving
conditions. At least they're doing something positive though, rather
than sitting on the sidelines with furrowed brows.

Dust off your key, call CQ, work someone?

I understand there are only around 30 NoV holders. All running very low
power. It's hardly surprising the QSO rate is low. Don't assume though
that it's zero!

Cheers,

John GM4SLV
IP90gg