Re: LF: [500] Best receivers?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: [500] Best receivers?
From: Peter Dodd <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 23:25:15 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Mike Dennison wrote:
My next question is what are people's favourite receivers for use at 500kHz? My IC-706 seems adequate, but my TS-850 is deaf due to the attentuator switched in to prevent overload in the MW broadcast band. So what is your experience?

Mike,
I am currently using an FT-990. This isn't quite as sensitive as the TS-850 but as it is used with the RF gain reduced this isn't an issue. Tonight, using the HF multiband quad and feeder fed aginst ground, with the 500Hz filter switched in, the S-meter on the 850 read between S7 and S9+5dB on QRN.
The 990 S4 to S6.5.
The BC band attentuation with the 880 is high - about 8 Spoints. With the 990 it is about 2 Spoints. While making these measurements heard GW4HXO working G3XIZ and G3KEV. Also audible was OK0EMW.

Peter, G3LDO