LF: Coil Winding2, de VY1JA

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Coil Winding2, de VY1JA
From: "J. Allen" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 20:45:01 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Dear Jim, and all the others who replied,

Thank you for your responses.

I am building the interim loading coil as a solenoid, because of simplicity and materials available, which include:

PVC Formers:
qty  L              D
1     70 cm   27cm.
2    100cm    32cm.
1     84 cm   32 cm.

and 50 lb. #17 magnet wire, insulated with Formvar.

I bought the magnet wire for scrap copper, because the reel it was on had broken and it needs to be unscrambled. The task is turning out to be much easier than I first thought.

Alex's calculation of my antenna system indicates that a base loading coil of 700 Ohms is needed.

I was thinking of reducing the solenoid loss by paralleling two or more #17 wires and close-winding them. If I parallel wind three #17 wires will it be worth the effort in reducing coil loss or does a simple coil with only one #17 conductor make any sense here? I will be running 200 W for now.

How do I calculate and decide which form to use if I use three #17 wires in a flat and close wound configuration, and want to end up with 700 Ohms?

The suggestion that I add a few taps is good... but I will not need the fine taps because I have two very large, edge wound roller inductors to use for fine tuning.

Thanks again,

J. "J"