RE: LF: Loops v Verticals

To: "'[email protected]'" <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: LF: Loops v Verticals
From: Andy <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 12:47:00 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
I view of the continuing arguments about this issue, is there anyone who knows, or knows someone, with the mathmatical understanding of antenna theory as well as the common sense, to come up with a point at which loops will perform better than verticals, for given criteria. A useful criterion might be the same amount of copper (include loading coil) in the antenna system, or a given amount of ground area. Every parameter has to be taken into account so its far from trivial, but must be calculatable.

It would certainly make a suitable task for a PhD thesis (Mike U.. are you there?)

Any deep analysis was way beyond me, but in the early days of 73kHz when we had a proper LF band rather than this high frequency stuff above 100kHz, I did some some simplistic spreadsheets that did suggest that for VERY LARGE loops (many tens or 100s of metres in effective diameter) there was an advantage over electric antennas of similar size, but for anything that would fit in a typical garden E field won every time.

If the loop could be made metres in diameter for example, or of Litz conductors to this diameter, then it copuld be made smaller for a given efficiency, but the total of amount copper actually increased. Then there comes a point where the loop is of the same dimensions as the vertical, so what mode is then radiating (Mike U, are you still there ?) etc etc.

This was borne out by G2AKV in Canterbury who used a huge loop of bog standard mains cable, quite low down and draped thorough trees. He was the strongest signal on the band for a long time (unreceivable because of his chirp, but that's another story).

Just making uninformed or sarky comments isn't going to solve anything.

Andy G4JNT (still lurking on this reflector, but 100% on microwaves these days)