LF: Re: Re: Receivers

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Re: Receivers
From: "John Andrews" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 12:38:25 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Mike & Mike:

I use an Icom IC-R75 with optional OCXO and 250Hz filter.

I have two of them, both with the 500 Hz 1st IF xtal filters, and the 250 Hz
2nd IF mechanical filter. One has the OCXO, the other does not. If left
turned on, the standard oscillator seems OK for most applications.
Sensitivity is adequate, though I do use a preamp with my 14 turn loop that
is 2 meters on a side. A bigger single turn loop that is 15 meters on a side
does not require an external preamp.

The only drawbacks I have noted are the AGC can't be turned off
and there are a few strong birdies below 100 kHz.

Mike (ZL4OL): Push the AGC button, and hold it in for a second or so. The
AGC will turn off, and you will see an "AGC Off" message on the screen.

John Andrews, W1TAG