Re: LF: Calibrating LF Current Meters

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Calibrating LF Current Meters
From: "Rik Strobbe" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 12:34:16 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hello Hugh,

The way I calibrated mine :
Connect the TX to a 50 Ohm dummyload, current meter between TX and dummyload.
Measure the voltage over the the dummyload, either by using a suitable RF voltmeter or a detector and DC voltmeter. The detector is no more that a diode that rectifies the AC, followed by a RC parallel network to ground (I used 100kOhm/1nF) . The diode should be fast enough (not a big problem at LF, MF and lower HF) and be able to handle the voltage (that can be a bit of a problem for higher power, for 10W the Vpp is 63V, for 100W it is 200V and for 1 kW it is 630V). As I wanted to use a scotky diode out of the junkbox (that could withstand 80V = max. Vpp) it meant that Veff was limited to 28V. But my 450W PA would give 150Veff (= 425Vpp), so over 5 times too high. I solved that by putting a 10/1 divider in parallel with the dummyload and rectified the divided voltage, that way I was save up to 280Veff (= 1.5kW). The resistive divider was 5kOhm (made of 3 x 15kOhm/2W) and 560 Ohm/1W. I wanted to calibrate my meter in the range of 0.5A - 3A, that is 25 -150V over the dummyload (or 12.5 - 450W into the dummyload). so at the divider output I had 2.5V - 15V and 3.5V - 21V at the detector output. To be exact one shoud add about 0.4V for the drop over the diode and calculate the current through the dummyload 'all the way back'. eg : 7.2Vdc measured = 7.6Vp = 5.37Veff at the divider output = 53.7Veff over the dummyload = 1.07A

73, Rik  ON7YD