Re: LF: Loop vs Marconi

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Loop vs Marconi
From: "Rik Strobbe" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 14:18:06 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hello Steve and Jay,

I simulated a 15m high / 30m long loop at 1m above ground (Er=5, S=0.1mS/m) using MMAMA.
Results were :

The loop is actually fairly omnidirectional - just not at 0 degrees
elevation. As you move up from 0 degrees elevation the pattern starts to
"fill in" nicely in the direction of the "nulls".
The nulls are minimal at an elevation of about 30 degrees (but still -15..20dB)

Not sure, but I think you can prove this with a small receive loop while
nulling out a local broadcast station. Tilt the loop even slightly off
vertical and away goes your null in a hurry.
Tilting the loop didn't change the radiation pattern (vertical polarization), but it just probably reduces the radiation resistance

The above assumes not "electrical pick-up". Maybe the nulls in a RX loop get smaller when tilting the loop because the magnetic component decreases while the electric component almost remains.