LF: Re: Calibrating LF Current Meters

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Calibrating LF Current Meters
From: "Stewart Nelson" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 12:41:23 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Hugh,

You don't say what other instruments you have available,
but here are a few suggestions:

1.  Measure the RF voltage across the dummy load with a scope.
   Determine current by knowing or measuring its resistance.
   A dummy load usable at 10 meters should be very close to
   its DC resistance at 1.8 MHz.

2.  Measure how hot the dummy load gets, then see how much
   DC or mains frequency current it takes to produce the
   same final temperature.

3.  Put a suitable light bulb in series.  Measure the brightness
   with a light meter, then see how much DC or mains frequency
   current it takes to produce the same brightness.

4.  Rig a simple diode rectifier to measure the RF voltage.
   Either compensate the reading with an estimate of the diode
   drop, or calibrate the rectifier at mains frequency.

73,

Stewart KK7KA

----- Original Message ----- From: "g6tmk" <[email protected]>