Re: LF: Class D current spikes

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Class D current spikes
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2019 16:38:15 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:references:in-reply-to:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=nB0DJVEqXxS4rgSRizNYWo2FGOE6GWlmNw1+PYEN9+I=; b=mdU8tco9CEhSDFuBHJmZZK9jntdvE12pM5dz+X0e7STWZbJe4XSosB0fPiaAG3W8xl fl68c4hqAiTiyly/xg6TTRKCa6X24AHaaZrRlvJZfPRVBBbqNck0c4ADqkQXu36RMEsE RvCYty/zawSi8cMNho388FXdaD40QtKEfcExQ/cKC4jJpMCy/ZbDd6fzJ+i5yWAmiRBC pChESN+aDYxPQKvogpmQQNcVSJpD8g9T6WsmTK35ho9lIk+4O30TyU/sDSlOtFKsxmPh jmsd+ChMSHUXPzRKgysGTE/tS/SmZP+dFVS80rq0MvQ7FStFoPsKMoKmrghmAJ2W5DXL vTcA==
Sender: [email protected]
Therein may lie your problem.   If you take your input direct to the 74F74 clock and don't hit that with anything other than a square wave you are bound to have problems.   TTL devices (and F series really IS real TTL) get very unhappy with slow edges and can oscillate or show instability at the edges

Even if you precede that with the classic inverter and linearising resistor, at low frequencies you will often see instability.   That fed-back gate design usually works fine at tens of MHz and up, even MHz, but expect instability at kHz frequencies.   Look at the output on a scope, and don't be surprised to see ringing on the edges , especially at low drive levels, and low drive levels are just what you get when the input waveform is keyed on / off

At these frequencies, linear to logic conversion really MUST be done with a Schmitt trigger.   74xCT14 or similar.   Use the ACT or HCT families as opposed to the HC or AC ones as they have a smaller hysteresis between Vin(HI) and Vin(lo), allowing for lower amplitude drive.  They also need different centre biassing for AC coupled signals.  Assuming a 5V rail, Use 2.5V  for HC and AC families,  1.8V for ACT and  HCT devices.

Or an RS422 / RS485  line receiver works well; that has even lower hysteresis and hence lower permitted drive level.