Re: LF: Class D current spikes

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Class D current spikes
From: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2019 06:32:56 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=comcast.net; s=q20161114; t=1551180777; bh=93Mn9dgiPv63ZQLTEdpBYVqIcL90v9If8PhfjrZk9gk=; h=Received:Received:From:Subject:To:Content-Type:Date:Message-ID; b=R5ptV6eit6Hgn60RGLTtWRV+e/fHsPW827x6wEYDn5HNufy1hTIIH62Bn9dSzX5oe 2dRUI9rdcfG+W1RdGFzCdd2sI2L2aFjk6+8CTHnGkL6SC7k34qvjPhU3jn+kOJ5Dtj pqsZeYve4bw3Z6FIKT7o2DXVdghdVRFpM7Cb4oCpIWAgTVfimqlmAhPSY7+crjv8EM PN0LRVRt+64hTXzPIVZ3WJAsO2kXkpNQ6nDCFUxz0wCj+OUbQ7vZganGZCkJFOV/+3 6ErZcTBOZEV8fsrfD0qJgHxSK1iPdxgNSDNCctA2VkZD/DT/2MBPPFoW3GUWS6iP+c CLvsxoMguztYg==
Sender: [email protected]
Paul

Have you run cw from the U3S?

I have never run cw from a transceiver through the amplifier ... instead I
always attach a continuous source of RF (GPS referenced HP3325A for example) to
the amplifier input and use a keyer to key the amplifier. There has never been
a problem in thousands of hours of operation.

CW from a transceiver is not the same ... it's an amplitude varying signal when
you consider the rise and fall times of the shaped waveform. Rise and fall
times of 5 milliseconds used to be the 'standard' ...  which is an eternity at
137 or 500 kHz. The amplifier, as designed, is not expecting an amplitude
varying waveform at it's input.

Jay W1VD

p.s. in addition to looking at the sound card output for clues, I'd also look
at the output of the transceiver as well