Re: LF: WSPR-15 last night

To: N1BUG <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: WSPR-15 last night
From: Chris Wilson <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2018 14:04:04 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=date:from:reply-to:message-id:to:subject:in-reply-to:references :mime-version:content-transfer-encoding; bh=2Ex+BWv/DEeIlu9xwOIK/ygvtr+2OIC7wVY05qR2Lgc=; b=gCf7cE0V2veaiARPevKhVHkhFx+C4zgQ2xd0TpntUKeZWtmUVLFQ7yOt3I7dZmj36Z wwrYZwybS4SmD3Ebq705JUrKIjLKDdWgYZxItMkrR1DOoST8Z8ThIoLWW2UBFyKH9Qm5 2aoP/SX9W/at3TQSM/YXBjFzythit8D6n9lHgl+fu3wnzqKGY1l9bnDfHYU1U29lzQfd eim8R1rI79lCeUt5HD/KuC3Q7M6UcdvHHabcVbD3wBVWPfuqO9CApUtmKxdMXL6OLLhP aRHf+O//NfSFsamgsFRcfC3QVytoVLPy98SzmxMGM2c/A55+M9sNziB2sPIeiQ7pOgt4 DunA==
Sender: [email protected]

Hello N1BUG,

When I have blown a FET on Jay's amp design and replaced it / them I
have sometimes seen less than optimal gate and drain waveforms from
the replaced FET's. A simple meter "diode test" on the parallelled
diodes / 10 Ohm resistors showed the diodes to be OK, but changing
them restored things to a good pattern. i now change them as a matter
of course if a FET blows. My matching transformer is a multi tapped
primary / secondary pairing on three individually Kapton taped 77
material 240 size cores stacked together. I see no heating t full
power WSPR15 or Opera but they are in a sealed plasic box of more than
generous size. I *HAVE* had issues with the ground terminals on the N
type connector screws arcing although they appeared tight. I now
solder direct to the socket flanges before mounting with the socket's
flanges on the inside of the box. Hope you get it sorted soon, a box
of spare FET's is a necessity, "things `appen" ;)

The only thing that gets warm is the LPF, it's in three divorced
compartments like Jay's and i think yours? I use a small PC processor
fan on the middle box with an exit hole meshed over opposite the fan.
Air flow is adequate to keep all three toroids near ambient with this.
I do see a mismatch s things warm up and the vario needs a tweak after
a cold start. The loading coil becomes tepid after a while.

I was very pleased to be heard by W3SZ three times last night! I have
discovered a limitation in only being able to have one call sign with
the U3S which makes divorcing WSP2 and WSPR15 TX's on the reporter map
impossible unless there's another option?

--
Best regards,
 Chris                            mailto:[email protected]