Re: LF: Antarctica on 630m WSPR

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Antarctica on 630m WSPR
From: Felix Riess <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 08:29:59 +0100
References: <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]>
Sender: [email protected]
Good morning!

Stefan, DK7FC, was kind enough to guide me to this group. I am one of the operators of the DP0GVN beacon receiver and have just returned from Antarctica after the successfull installation of the system.

We are using a Red Pitaya STEMlab system with a preamplifier to receive and decode WSPR signals. The setup is quite versatile and can monitor up to eight frequencies simultaneously. The antenne for the low bands is a delta loop with a circumference of approximately 180m, about one mile south of Neumayer Station III in an electrically very quiet environment.

We do not usually monitor 630m, but can do so at request. For the time being, I have included 475.7 kHz daily in the time slot from 0400 UTC to 0700 UTC, around our local sunrise. These times can be modified by request. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like conduct tests on LF.

The receiver was on 630m all night long last night, but unfortunately no spots were recorded, even though I know that quite a few stations tried.

We plan an upgrade to the beacon receiver next summer that will enable it to cover more frequencies simultaneously. This would enable us to monitor LF continously, but that won't happen until early 2019.

Laurence, I enjoyed reading about your previous trips to Antarctica. I never got to see Neumayer I, have only been traveling south regularly since 2002 and spent one winter each at Neumayer II and Neumayer III.

73 from Bremerhaven,

Felix, DL5XL (DP1POL in Antarctica)