Re: R: Re: LF: TXing 2200m WSPR

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: R: Re: LF: TXing 2200m WSPR
From: N1BUG <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2017 08:29:24 -0500
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Markus,

Could the scope "blurring " be caused by a high-frequency rather than low-frequency oscillation?

It's possible but what I see is not what I would expect in that case. My experience has usually been that with a high frequency oscillation I see two sine waves: the fundamental and another with shorter period which is the HF oscillation. Here I don't usually see that. I see one sine wave keeping the same period but with amplitude "blur". No blur at the zero crossings, maximum blur at the positive and negative peaks.

That is what I see most often when it is misbehaving somewhat mildly. But sometimes I do see two "clean" sine waves with slightly different period. To me this suggests oscillation near the fundamental frequency. I can usually (but not always) make it switch from the single blurred since wave to two clean ones with different period by increasing bias or RF drive.

Have you tried a simple "snubber" network (e.g. 1 nF + 10 ohms) at the drain?

No, but I will try it next. I don't have any high power 10 ohm resistors, but I suppose if there is significant HF energy the 10 ohm resistor burning up might be a clue. :-) I maybe could make a higher power 10 ohm resistor by putting a lot of chip capacitors in parallel, don't know what that would have for stray capacitance though.

Paul N1BUG