RE: R: Re: LF: TXing 2200m WSPR

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: R: Re: LF: TXing 2200m WSPR
From: "Clemens Paul" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2017 22:33:42 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Paul,

>My Ultimate 3S does have a LPF before the feed to the PA. I
>understand some PAs prefer a square wave. Should I remove the LPF?

No!
It helps reducing harmonics output of the PA which in case are reflected
by the LPF to the FET and MAY cause instability and IMD.
That's why *sometimes* diplexer filters are used.
They swamp harmonics in the 50 Ohm resistor of the parallel HPF instead of
reflecting them.

>I understand some PAs prefer a square wave.

These are push pull class D or E PAs.
Yours is single ended and Class AB,B or C depending on bias.

>When I isolate the
>grounds, the problem is worse! What does this tell us?

This supports my assumption that your problem is caused
rather by the RF field than by the LPF.
It would be also a good idea to put the Ultimate and even more the PA in
shielded metal boxes.

>Could I have some mistakes in my isolation transformer? I have
>primary turns spread around the whole core, with the secondary turns
>around almost the whole core placed between primary turns. But the
>primary and secondary windings do not start at the same position on
>the core. I thought this wouldn't matter. Maybe it does?

No,it doesn't, even on HF.

>I have some FT-144-JC cores. Any chance these could be
>used for a test?

I guess there is a typo:
Size 144 does not exist,either it's 114 or 140.
J material is very fine for this purpose,JC is the same as J but with coating.
If you can manage to wind *at least* 10 turns on one core
- more turns and/or more cores would be better - with thin coax you'r in
business.
The minimum goal is to achieve a choking impedance of 1K which would
reduce common mode currents on the coax shield by 20dB.

73
Clemens
DL4RAJ