Re: R: Re: LF: TXing 2200m WSPR

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: R: Re: LF: TXing 2200m WSPR
From: N1BUG <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2017 15:19:57 -0500
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Clemens,

Thank you for taking the time to run these simulations!

My Ultimate 3S does have a LPF before the feed to the PA. I understand some PAs prefer a square wave. Should I remove the LPF? I have a function generator which can make the same power as the Ultimate 3S with either sine or square wave. I could try that as a test...

Today I made some more tests. I can run a little more power before trouble begins when I have the primary (coax) and secondary (antenna) grounds tied together at the antenna! When I isolate the grounds, the problem is worse! What does this tell us?

I'm not sure how to make an effective common mode choke for this frequency. I can try another transformer at the shack if I can find a low power version that uses an inexpensive core. At this point I don't want to buy 3 x FT-240-77 cores for a <20W test. Any suggestions? I have some FT-144-JC cores. Any chance these could be used for a test?

Could I have some mistakes in my isolation transformer? I have primary turns spread around the whole core, with the secondary turns around almost the whole core placed between primary turns. But the primary and secondary windings do not start at the same position on the core. I thought this wouldn't matter. Maybe it does?

73,
Paul