Re: VLF: 8969.99

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: VLF: 8969.99
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2013 19:44:09 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Bob,

Oh, you're planning to become QRV on VLF, great!
What inductance will you need for your system? What coil diameter and wire diameter will you use? It is important to calculate the dimension of that coil before you start to wind it. A diameter of at least 60cm is to be recommended, better 80cm. But of course it depends on the wire diameter and isolation (or insulation?). If you just use a coil body that is on hand and start winding, you may find the residual L is much to low and then you come out with 3 coils in series which will be a huge construction in very inefficient. You should also leave some distance to ground, to prevent losses into the soil. A distance equal to the coil diameter is fine.
How will you manage the high voltages on the antenna? You will have to manage 50 kV rms or so.

For me, the situation is not as easy. I must not leave the coil its position permanenty. I have to remove it after the experiment. But that's not so dramatic. I can leave it into the building and we have an elevator...
Keep us informed by some photos :-)

73, Stefan/DK7FC