RE: VLF: 8969.99

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: VLF: 8969.99
From: "hvanesce" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 12:15:50 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=comcast.net; s=q20121106; t=1388171775; bh=UKvulPinbmTTwuoWfDrY5OB0O73Sq4RGCv0TXFpnacI=; h=Received:Received:From:To:Subject:Date:Message-ID:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=bJecs0sIe9AhLzQpXrjDdr6qoPS9JkUcAHCgqGHqBvr+91/ptpn8in/lnVFsFSy3M i9tN4CSyoW0qTxdOL7RN0Ze/V8TohOBWFaPsyOiIEsoU4bNJUOk2yoIS7J6yVuednZ Rr0niYXWvgxBP3QRB4vwzrcb2XaQWZToX3pri5FD7wfYlxpuLanbwQcx1J3vz9RDsz VIuKprx3ASorFyWLobCJBCoaLq9afkjwoDix2KM9AkyAnicSB8fmqE9wy145wOk89n 7GnpsW0taKbUPLmmwmxX6mswTxf2D5t54srFaHc8ZWlClZOo4UJ0wqKba8YhPUXPc9 Jx8Da9TIy0JvQ==
Sender: [email protected]

Stefan,

Thank you for the information. I was hoping for input from you and Uwe on ERP and antenna angle, and your information is very helpful.

Regarding antenna angle:

I am hoping to detect T/A VLF signals, and a long integration time is important. Without special integration algorithms, changes in phase of the received signal limit maximum integration time. Even at T/A distances, low antenna angles (angles far from vertical) can increase the sensitivity of phase to day/night transitions and other environmental/ionospheric  factors, and thus limit maximum useful integration time. All of the above is for a constant non-vertical antenna angle; maximum useful integration time is even less when the antenna angle varies.

I don’t have solid numbers for phase vs. antenna angle, orientation and distance yet (the phase variations of interest are of multimodal origin, so multimodal analysis is required), but the information that you provided will help very much in converging to an estimate of maximum useful integration time with conventional integration algorithms.

For T/A VLF signal capture planning purposes, do you think that it would be safe to say that, in the next year or so, most amateur antennas long enough for potential T/A VLF communication will either be nearly horizontal (fixed at both ends), or fixed at one end with a variation in angles as in the example that you gave below? If so I will plan for something to assess, manage and possibly improve maximum integration time for the phase variations expectable from such antennas.

Thank you for the information that you provided and all of your remarkable contributions to VLF and LF.

73,  Jim AA5BW