RE: LF: Best results so far from Germany to Tasmania

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: LF: Best results so far from Germany to Tasmania
From: Laurence KL1 X <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 14:38:44 -0800
Sender: [email protected]
And I will validate the near instanteous drop in conditions if we hit any sort of disturbance here in Alaska - and the "average" time it takes to recover means I can typically take a break of  couple of weeks looking for DX and take up knitting again. Fair conditions in Eu for longer haul are typically "poor" here.

Got to say this has been the worst winter for long haul over the Pole Ive seen in 10 years of looking.

Unlike other locations HF over the pole conditions are a pretty strong indicator of whats what at LF and MF in Winter - if I typically dont see any signal over the North Pole from Eu on 3.5/7 or even 14 and above forget it at LF.

More Southerly paths are less affected and to date if one of the stronger JA's fires up on 136 we will see it here. Now, if I wander closer to the Geo Poles things are actually get very different - peering out of the Auroral oval (say from 83N 74W, or 80S 100W) with just one crossing into more temperate geomag latitudes means the delight of AuE at VHF and some odd MF openings -
I recall in the middle of a particularly strong Mag storm listening to Capital radio London on 1548kHz from Antarctica with little to no warble and S9 strength - very odd - but that was the same year as we were watching BBC TV 405 lines direct from down there - so it was an odd year oF Solar max -

I miss your reports Alan !

Laurence KL 1 X