LF: Re: Best results so far from Germany to Tasmania

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Best results so far from Germany to Tasmania
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 16:24:18 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btinternet.com; s=s1024; t=1365521065; bh=DmC4iL6u9Eacwz424Sz9JviADL6iRluTSk0ObVUvMo8=; h=X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-Rocket-Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Antivirus:X-Antivirus-Status; b=u2bFGTKDOkX5buTIOBdn4IM5+H86n9IwDbEmDp7o+4G9XpRClHrM2GBUHhXDprlh9mOnl5Qh5H/u1c060uHPEst4hBUXmMxd9PqRYp3FDdRDJEW7BMXdfwCODBl2Jq3eb6je1mKoyH/JH6V4/Xx+uMMyhyXOSPhVHDgNuH8p8qQ=
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Stefan well done in mastering that path. I think I can see the problem. Urban myth says the equinox is the "best" time. However if you look at the Dst for that period  http://lasp.colorado.edu/space_weather/dsttemerin/dsttemerin.html
There was geomag strom on the 17th March, which depressed the Dst to -135nT and on the 21st a further small even depressed the recovering Dst index to about -65nT again. The path is 8 hops, so 7 times through the absorbing precipitated electrons.
Currently the Dst has been above -20nT since the 2nd and fairly stable, so there are very few precipitated electrons (if any) to provide excess absorption in the darkness zone.

Obviously the shorter the length of darkness then there is a reduced probability of success, but if would seem that there could be a sweet spot 2 to 3 weeks either side of the equinox for this path. It will also require a period with a favourable Dst (>-20nT on Colorado Uni.estimate)

Alan
G3NYK