Re: LF: Best results so far from Germany to Tasmania

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Best results so far from Germany to Tasmania
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 21:50:05 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btinternet.com; s=s1024; t=1365540607; bh=iNzK/fat3h15sLtsYSqnbOk/5/n1nmZrCDLudKDzvJI=; h=X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-Rocket-Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Antivirus:X-Antivirus-Status; b=1DAFaYYSBSPkanNzHvbkL/GGNrrOxYath2440HPNI56XNJItRbfrk8Qc6ahc7HTxkTZHJR8RqkPGxg66Gi+ksjj9QD45IA8P9IjPJvsDD9r1ya8sfwMRR2uNDNxy4owRZ8lv+570VnpzhzvjG9oz7zrM+fA0sODNAnPw7IDpb5M=
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Markus, it would seem that the majority of the "hot" precipitated electrons enter the ionosphere at the dawn and dusk edges where the magnetosphere is distorted by the solar wind pressure. I believe they enter at high latitudes and diffuse towards the equator. So I am guessing that if there are any gradients they are pole towards the equator. Certainly there is evidence from Laurence and Scott VE7TIL that they see propagation collapse almost immediately after a geomag shock. I dont have any data for worldwide distribution. In fact the only plottable data is that for the N.Atlantic path to CFH. The plots from Scott suggest that the decay of the attenuation after a shock is around 5-6dB/hour . This suggests that when the Equatorial Ring Current is exhausted  the global ionosphere returns to the simple photo-dissociation model with solar UV activation (what a load of pretentious rot I just wrote :-))  ) I mean we get an absorbing daylight D-region again which disappears as soon as it becomes dark. The solar eclipse plots of a few yeas ago suggest the free daytime electrons recombine in seconds due to the relatively high pressure 50 to 100km altitude (it would still make you gasp a bit though :-))  ) and their relatively low energy (just above the ionisation level)

I wonder if your Loran data would give any information on worldwide distribution? However I believe most of the Loran chains are in the Northern Hemisphere (not sure if there are any around VK/ZL

The Dst is not a measure of electrons in the D-layer, rather it is a measure of the potential gradient driving the exchange between the Ring Current and the Ionosphere . Thus very low Dst indicates a high potential to drive lots of excess free electrons into the D-region. The Dst recovery as the ring is depleted is approximately logarithmic as one would expect for a diffusion process. I did wonder whether measurements of total electron density would give any ideas. but I could not make any progress with that, probably because most of the electrons will be in the higher levels of the F-layer.

Interestingly when a big storm occurs the excess electrons have the same effect as a flare in daytime ! They enhance the daytime signal level for one or perhaps at most two days. The are much hotter that the flare generated electrons so the effect lasts longer but is much weaker than the absorption effect at night.

We may get some more ideas when the data from the latest satellite (that found the 3rd Van Allan belt) finishes surveying the region. I have seen it suggested that there are up to 7(I think it was) ion filled rings reaching up to nine Earth diameters out.

Unfortunately a good Dst doesnt guarantee good signals.....there is something else at work. It may just be multipath but I cant get any useful data yet. Maybe I need phase data.

Best Wishes
Alan
G3NYK