Re: LF: VX9MRC 504.1 kHz

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: VX9MRC 504.1 kHz
From: pa3abk <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2012 19:57:43 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Stefan,
I have experience as a "former" user of 500kHz.
Under certain conditions there are "ducts" which enables you with low power to cover large distances. One of my favourites was EU to Brazil. Mostly in the last watch Northsea traffic was loud and clear audible off coast Rio. This condition could last for hours. You could contact the EU coaststation rather easy on their working channels with 250W shipstx. However high QRN in Brazil is rather problematic but sometimes the condx coincided with low QRN.
Offshore,  QRN can be considerable less.
I experienced these "tunnels" also between LA & Hawaii and LA & New Zealand.
Leaving Red Sea Indian Ocean to Perth radio was also a nice link. (7000km!)
At that time I consider it as "normal" not realising that nowadays these are remarkable events if you put in hamradio perspective.

BTW understand that Monaco seems to be 1st official country on 472kHz as from 18/5-2012.
http://www.iaru-r1.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=993:claude-passet&catid=53:spectrum

Hopefully all EU countries implement this new QRG at the same time, otherwise you must keep a database in order to know were to listen for which country.
Somewhere from 439-510kHz.
EU and making decisions together worries me.
Jan/pa3abk