Re: LF: Re: Fw: TA CONDX/QSO

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Fw: TA CONDX/QSO
From: "mal hamilton" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 15:57:36 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Warren
As far as I know he was using H/B tube amplifier with a vy elaborate antenna
system consisting of several high towers. The main tower was ground
insulated and fed at the base the others were displaced across some fields
carrying the top loading wires.
There will be others that remember him at the time but it would have been
longer than 8 years ago
I do not have my original 137 permit handy but it all started in the UK
about 15 years ago and I have been active ever since then plus the more
recent 500 Khz band.
It was all CW in the beginning with having a QSO in mind when active. The
norm was to TX on the 137 band and QSX on HF because apart from a few  EU
countries that gradually got going there was no USA permits at the time.
There was some QRS QSO'S taking place on the band and this gradually became
popular especially with the QRP stations that had limited range on CW
A lot of stn around EU that ultimately became active have now gone qrt. The
band was humming at one time and I have worked over 35 countries on CW.
 Nearly every night that I was active in those days and propagation was
reasonable I had XBAND QSO'S TA style.ie East coast USA es Canada
Like I have said before the procedure these days has completely changed with
the majority using BEACON mode and QSL via Email.
There is no substitute for the real thing, Transmitting and getting an
immediate reply either on a LF frequency or xband  in my case 7033 Khz
Even local QSO'S that now take place between neighbours around EU are in QRS
mode which is pointless especially when the signals are audible or should
be. It takes so long to have a QSO whereas in CW it takes only a few minutes
or longer if you want to ragchew. Some attempt to ragchew in QRS and it is
pitiful to watch !!
Another point that I would make is about antennas. Currently the majority
favour micro antennas for receiving and although these are satisfactory for
slow QRS observations at qrs 60 - 6000 they are not up to the job of
capturing hand sent CW signals at amateur radio powers, so CW QSO'S are rare
leaving one no alternative but to use QRS, this is why so many have now gone
QRT on LF and gone back to HF.
I have struck a comprimise of using QRS 1 - 10 normally and QRS30 when
requested but no slower.

This is more or less my observations about what has and is now going on on
LF
73 es Merry Xmas
de mal/g3kev