Re: LF: Loops on TX

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Loops on TX
From: Scott Tilley <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 22:11:54 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Stefan / Group

Yes EZNEC can do this but knowing the actual relationship would be nice to play with the math on a more primal level to 'understand' the issues.  So, if someone can point us toward a suitable reference PLEASE!

For me a loop was the only viable option short of breaking out the chainsaw and backhoe...  Then I'd need a good divorce lawyer...

A loop made for a very nice compromise at my QTH give the availability of tall trees and the fact it blended into the surroundings (stealth) and it actually works the way it should.  Given we have a limited EIRP who cares that a vertical may be able to do more for the given input power...  Kinda a pointless debate.  What matters more is knowing your RF is radiating into the far field and not warming the trees...

RE: Conductors:

RG213 is expensive and its dielectric and physical wear characteristics seemed not as good as a common aluminum power conductor.   Copper conductors are 4 to 5 times more expensive then AL and 4 times heavier for the same resistivity.  Here, #2 AWG AL is $1/meter new and this conductor can be found surplus for much less as it is used for neutral support service drops to houses and commercial buildings...  The insulation is very robust and can deal with rubbing on trees it is sunlight resistant and has a very high dielectric strength. The peak voltage on my system exceeds 7KV and no sign of breakdown even during heavy rains.   The conductor is also light and easy to work with.  Another interesting item I noticed as the measured RF resistance and the calculated where much different.  The conductor I used has seven strands (see attached).  The way these are arranged seems to create much more surface area and a much lower Rac then calculated from a circular area which RG213 would be closer to.

Food for thought.  Although a really good quality coax with silver shield conductors will certainly produce a low Rac too as Warren's experiments can clearly attest but this comes at a cost in dollars for such high quality cable.  The compromise is the shield does not have a very high dielectric strength material insulating it form tree branches extra, unlike the center conductor...

The real advantage of a loop is it performs as modeled in pretty much any installation site without much thought to ground, just keep it away :-)  A vertical is very environmentally sensitive and will only perform at its best in very limited sites and requires the site be tailored to it in most cases including much work on the ground system which makes up half the antenna.  The other advantage of the loop is it makes a wonderful RX antenna even in the presence of local QRM.  I found rather empirically that the large TX loop performs better at local QRM rejection then the smaller RX  loops I have on site and certainly better then any E-field antenna I have tried here.  Having said that the best RX antenna I have ever used on LF was a tall vertical installed on the ocean in a QRM free spot. But how many folks can do that at a convenient operating location?

In time I hope to 'cross' my loop with another near identical sized one to allow for phasing the two to create a 'beam' of sorts.  As I have lots of convenient trees to support this so it is viable here and will improve my RX situation as well...

My experiments with verticals have come to an end at this QTH.  Not to say that in the future I will not experiment with them at other QTHs but they simply don't suit this QTH.  That's the secret in my opinion of getting a decent signal out is finding an antenna that maximizes the potential of a particular QTH not following a dogma certain mal-contents seem to preach...

73 Scott
VE7TIL
http://www3.telus.net/sthed/argo/