Re: LF: Loops on TX

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Loops on TX
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 22:32:32 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Scott,

Yes. The more rocks the better the result. The lower the ground conductance, the deeper the flow back current and thus the larger the loop area. Near my hill/mountain (is 520 m ASL a hill or a mointain if the sourrounding region is about 120 m ASL?) there is a stone pit (http://maps.google.de/maps?ll=49.456911,8.681259&spn=0,0.027423&t=h&z=15&lci=com.panoramio.all&layer=c&cbll=49.456911,8.681259&cbp=12,0,,0,5&photoid=po-23608032). I cannot hit a earth rod more than 0.4 m into the soil since there is the stone! This makes more effort on the earth rod site but all in all the stone is a big advantage is think!

BTW, you do not need a big wire! The losses are dominated by your ground resistance, not by the wire resistance. So you can use 1 mm diameter or less. This makes it easy and cheap. Telephone drop wire is a very good choice. The longer the wire the better! Voltages are moderate and currents as well, depending of power and ground losses of course :-)

I will keep you informed about my progress on improving this antenna (soon).

73, Stefan/DK7FC