Re: LF: Loops on TX

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Loops on TX
From: Scott Tilley <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 20:14:56 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Roger

My TX loop pretty much works as modeled which I can't say for most verticals I've tries as they are highly dependent on the installation site, weather and time of year...

My TX loop is a 20m high by 30m long #2 AWG aluminum wire beast.  I find that there is little to no noticable difference in the tuning during different weather conditions.    The loop is installed inside a line of trees and in some cases in direct contact with the foliage/branches.  I choose the type of conductor I used as it is tested by CSA to at least 3KV but rated for 600V with a thick XLPE insulation.  Ie. risk of breakdown low and has not been a problem for me at high power and rainy conditions...

The loop is mounted about 3m over the rocky ground here.  I would not suggest moving the loop base closer to ground and certainly not burying it.  Move it the other way if you can as the higher the flowing current the higher the ERP.  I^2 x R...  As you move the loop closer to ground the losses will go up and the 'I' down...  In fact, I think my poor ground may in fact be the reason for my low ground losses.  My Rloss = 1.21ohms! On high power I can circulate a current approaching 40A all night long if need be and not need to worry about the weather...

If someone knows the relationships for how a loop behaves over ground I'd love to see them too!

My loop seems to work just fine and produces audible signals nightly at over 2000km range and It has almost completed a QSO with JA (7200Km) with some nights producing signals in the QRSS10 copible level there.  QSB on the path and poor RX situations (QRM) in JA being the limiting factors...   I can't say that for the vertical tried at this QTH.  Very high feed impedance and it produced a very poor radiated signal no matter what I did to improve the ground with the reports or lack of to prove it...

To summarize

Loop - dependable compromise antenna for certain QTH types where verticals won't work well.  Ie.  it will work fairly well pretty much anywhere as long as you have supports for it.
Vertical - If you have good ground/soil and lots of clear land it will work VERY well.  If you're a normal person with a normal lot, build a loop.

One issue with a loop is as you go QRO the tuner becomes abit more 'complex' to design.  Voltages and currents can kill caps.  If you need more info I can supply off list.

73 Scott
VE7TIL
http://www3.telus.net/sthed/argo/