Re: LF: Minimum content of a valid QRSS/DFCW QSO?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Minimum content of a valid QRSS/DFCW QSO?
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 16:58:59 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
The requirement for the exchange of two complete callsigns makes
extremely poor use of a limited time slot. Even HF DXers do not do
this any more.

I believe there are two minimum requirements:

The first is to know for certain that the station you are listening
to cannot be someone else (or something else). In this case a single
letter (either pre-arranged or part of the callsign) should be
adequate.

The second is a piece of unknown information. Usually this would be a
signal report (though again HF DXers have scrapped the unknown by
sending 599 every time). The "unknown" can be chosen from a subset,
such as the numbers in a report or the 'O', 'M' or 'T' used in QRSS-
type modes.

And of course the timing of the transmission will serve as
confirmation that this is not a random reception.

This may not please the purists, but it is certain proof of two-way
communication, and (as I said) is better than a 20m DXpedition QSO
accepted for DXCC will give you.

Mike, G3XDV