LF: WSPR

To: "rsgb" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: WSPR
From: "mal hamilton" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 18:37:24 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
WSPR reports amongst stns indicate reception reports usually minus dB. Most of these stations are usually PLUS dB with me or very close to that figure.
So what does that prove. I would say it depends on the RX antenna and not necessarily propagation. A large antenna yields better results than a small loop or active whip.
When I switch from my 1/4 wave inv L for 500 khz to a smaller 40 m resonated loop for 500 the signals then do go down to a minus db figure.
So what is all this all ABOUT ?
There is also the TX pwr to consider. Two transmitters from the same location one using QRO and the other QRP will be received at different levels at a specified RX location. There is a lot of misrepresentation and misleading information by WSPR operator
A trace of the signal is visible long before a decode takes place, therefore why not use QRS in the first place.

G3KEV