LF: Re: Re: Re: Mini Whip and local noise

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Re: Re: Mini Whip and local noise
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 16:09:41 -0000
Delivery-date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 18:02:42 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Roelof, I suspect that the differences you see compared with others
depends very greatly on your environment. I think you mentioned a "concrete
wall" This means to me probably reinforced with a considerable amount of
steel rods, possible foil moisture membranes. This kind of structure would
keep signals out and also keep the magnetic interference in. There is no
doubt that moving the antenna away for local noise by even small separations
(near field drops off by the fourth power of distance, I believe) improves
the signal to noise ratio.

Indoor loops do work I get good signals from the States and Canada on a 1.2m
indoor loop. I can often get better S/N than on a large outdoor Marconi.
However I have minimal magnetic interference around my house and it is of
brick construction with no intervening metallic screening. My worst
interference is from next door neighbour's TV, and dimmers. My loop is 6m
away from my PCs which makes a big difference.

What is often not appeciated about voltage probe antennas is that the output
signal voltage is dependent upon the height above ground, and is just the
field strength (say uV /m) multiplied by the effective height (m), which in
your case is the actual height. They can be very disappointing if mounted
near ground level. On the other hand at 17m and away from buildings, they
can be spectacularly good.

Cheers de Alan G3NYK