LF: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mini Whip and local noise

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mini Whip and local noise
From: "Roelof Bakker" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 19:48:40 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 18:49:41 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Alan, LF group,

Thank you for your comments.
I am actually living in a house with brick walls and wooden floors.
One of the tests I did was on the second floor of a large concrete community building.

What is often not appeciated about voltage probe antennas is that the output
signal voltage is dependent upon the height above ground <<

I have performed some height test as well and found the following figures:

height               rel. dB
1.2 m / 4 ft            0 dB
2.4 m / 8 ft         + 4 dB
3.6 m / 12 ft       + 6 dB
4.8 m / 16 ft       + 8 dB

Shielding by bushes in my garden has also been noted. I had to raise it above these to restore a good s/n ratio. On the other hand, at an open field near a lake it worked first class 2 metre high and raising it improved signal strength but not the signal to noise ratio.

I have a 0.7 metre tunable loop hanging on the wall. One of these days I will try it on 137 kHz indoor.

Best regards,

Roelof Bakker, pa0rdt