Re: LF: Re: Mini Whip and local noise

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Mini Whip and local noise
From: John Andrews <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 00:56:19 +0000
Delivery-date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 00:56:04 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Jim's comments make sense, and I hope to do some experiments as time permits.

I have been treating LF receive loops as balanced antennas, with no intended ground reference. This has been easy in my case, as I series tune the loop into a coupling transformer. Parallel tuning would also be possible.

This arrangement has been much quieter than earlier attempts with unbalanced loops. Jay has carried this a bit further by using a twisted pair feeder back to the shack. My experiments with that at our summer place were inconclusive, but it might be a help in a noisy situation. I'm thinking of giving it a try here, as my local noises are higher than ever this winter, and Jay consistently has better copy on the TA signals.

John Andrews