Re: LF: USA 136kHz proposals

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: USA 136kHz proposals
From: [email protected]
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 11:35:29 EDT
Sender: <[email protected]>
In a message dated 5/16/02 6:33:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [email protected] writes:

<< I am puzzled why they are putting this
stipulation on bandwidth, which I do not believe anybody else has done. >>

You've heard of the philosophy some folks have over here? The one about: "the business of government is business."

One of the reasons cited in the FCC Notice of Proposed Rulemaking is an objection filed by Texas Instruments, who make "smart card" readers that work at 121 kHz. They're afraid hams are going to operate with such huge power and with such dirty signals that we would interfere with their lucrative (and totally unallocated) use of the LF spectrum.

I don't know many hams who are going to try to operate LF from their high-rise apartments or right next to department stores, secret research facilities, or major office buildings, so I'm not sure who would be affected by amateur operation 15 bloomin' kilohertz away at 1W EIRP! But that's their argument.

73,
John  KD4IDY