Re: LF: USA 136kHz proposals

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: USA 136kHz proposals
From: "hamilton mal" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 18:39:40 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2002 4:35 PM

In a message dated 5/16/02 6:33:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< I am puzzled why they are putting this
stipulation on bandwidth, which I do not believe anybody else has done. >>

You've heard of the philosophy some folks have over here?  The one about:
"the business of government is business."

One of the reasons cited in the FCC Notice of Proposed Rulemaking is an
objection filed by Texas Instruments, who make "smart card" readers that
work
at 121 kHz.  They're afraid hams are going to operate with such huge power
and with such dirty signals that we would interfere with their lucrative
(and
totally unallocated) use of the LF spectrum.

I don't know many hams who are going to try to operate LF from their
high-rise apartments or right next to department stores, secret research
facilities, or major office buildings, so I'm not sure who would be
affected
by amateur operation 15 bloomin' kilohertz away at 1W EIRP!  But that's
their
argument.
John, You would be surprised what some radio amateurs do, here in the UK
they do operate from high rise apartment blocks, terraced houses and semi
detached on the LF bands.
In other parts of EU they probably do the same and maybe the USA.

73,
John  KD4IDY