Re: LF: Introducing Jason - and asking for cooperation

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Introducing Jason - and asking for cooperation
From: "Rik Strobbe" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 11:50:30
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hello Alberto,

I just read the Jason documentation. It looks most interesting and
promising, although there is some chance that some will call it 'pocks' ...
as 7FSK was called 'measles' ;-)
For transmitting Jason I was thinking of an alternative path, using a PLL
and let Jason control the divider (via LPT of COM port).
Least complex would be a 27.2xx MHz PLL in 50Hz steps that is divided by
200, what would give a 136kHz signal in 0.250Hz steps. Since Jason uses
0.252Hz steps the error over 32 steps would be 0.064Hz (or 76% of a bin).
As I read from the documentation Jason can handle errors of +/- 1 bin,
would the 0.064Hz error be acceptable ?
An alternative (and a bit more complex) would be to make a 26.9xxMHz PLL in
50Hz steps and divide it by 198, resulting in a 0.2525252Hz step and
reducing the overall error to 0.0168Hz (20% of a bin). Jason would surely
have no problem to handle this error, but it would be a bit more complex to
read out the exact frequency at 136kHz (due to the odd step).
A second alternative would be to use a HF tranceiver (with transverter
output) on 13.6MHz and divide the signal by 100. As most modern HF
tranceivers can be controlled via the serial port and can be tuned in 10Hz
steps (= 0.01Hz on 136kHz) this might be a easy and low cost alternative.

73, Rik  ON7YD