Re: LF: PSK31 generation

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: PSK31 generation
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 13:52:30 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF Group,

Many thanks to DL4YHF for the speedy software update; I hope to do some tests on PSK31 some time in the next few days.

About using BPSK modulation with the Decca TX:-

The phase keying can easily be done using an EXOR gate in my case, or a system such as G0MRF/SM6LKM's DDS board. The problem here is of course that the abrupt phase transitions with a constant-amplitude output from a class D PA like the Decca cause horrendous key clicks, which when running ERP up to 1W would cause serious QRM over several hundred Hz of the band - I tried it with a low-level signal; it really is bad! To get round this, the TX is also amplitude modulated with a half-sinusoidal envelope which ramps the output down to zero before the phase transition occurs, then ramps it back up again, which gives a well defined bandwidth. The modulator is basically a big series linear regulator that controls the supply voltage to the PA. This sounds like a headache from the point of view of efficiency, but actually the regulator only dissipates about 150W with 1.2kW PEP BPSK output, and the overall efficiency is still around 80%.

The modulation envelope is generated by a circuit that looks for transitions in the PSK data, and when one occurs it generates a piecewise approximation to the sine envelope, which is filtered and used by the modulator/regulator as a reference voltage. The phase data is also delayed by half a symbol period before going into the EXOR modulator, so the amplitude has time to ramp down to zero before the phase transition occurs. The result is a very clean BPSK signal that I used successfully for COHERENT and WOLF mode tests last winter.

The envelope generator is a rather long-winded thing with about a dozen logic and linear IC's, but could easily be made using a PIC with D/A converter - or DL4YHF's suggestion of generating this on the sound card could be used. The Modulator/Regulator has 8 MOSFETs on a big heatsink - I also use it for CW keying, and it provides PSU overload protection too.

About other methods of generating BPSK:-

I tried some experiments with a scheme similar to that suggested by Johan - The problem with this is that, while the square wave output contains essentially no even harmonics, as soon as you change the duty cycle, or the relative phase of the two totem pole outputs, a strong second harmonic component appears. This is much more difficult to filter out of the TX output than the third and higher harmonics, requiring excessive high Q in the tank circuit and/or a low-pass filter with a very sharp and accurate cut-off. I think it is possible to use PWM to achieve output control, but the output waveform must be kept symmetrical.

You could of course use a separate PWM regulator to control the PA supply, but this would be quite a difficult project at the 1.2kW level, with significant noise and intermodulation problems possible, and the overall TX efficiency would not be that much better than the linear modulator. I think G4JNT has a PWM circuit in the LF Handbook.

Another approach is to use "variable phase" modulation, ie. ramping the phase slowly from 0 to 180 instead of an abrupt transition. This does certainly work, although I'm not sure if it would impair the performance of the signal under weak signal conditions. You can see my experimental variable phase modulator circuit on G3YXM's "features" web pages.

There is also a linear modulator circuit on 'YXM's site - this works perfectly well, but obviously requires a linear PA.

The conventional approach to generating BPSK is to use a DSP device such as a PC and sound card to generate the modulated signal with an audio carrier frequency, and then use an SSB TX to linearly translate this to 136k or wherever. However, poor sound card sampling rate accuracy caused a lot of problems with WOLF, and getting rid of the sound card altogether was a big improvement. Also, I didn't have a suitable SSB TX. The same undoubtedly applies to other "slow" digital modes, such as Andy's coherent PSK experiments. However, the timing requirements for PSK31 are much less critical, and so the sound card should be perfectly OK for this.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU