Re: LF: freq: monitor ??

To: "rsgb_lf_group" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: freq: monitor ??
From: "Dave Sergeant" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 10:38:44 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
From Dave G3YMC

Steve GW4ALG wrote:
it is true that QRP might result in disappointment - although
this probably depends upon expectations.  However, my first tests
on 136 kHz were actually conducted using quite low power.  (I
completed my first 136 kHz CW QSO with Graham G3XTZ over a
distance of 157 km using 15 watts RF.  At the time, I was using a
very poor single-turn loop antenna: tuned by very lossy
capacitors; and fed by a very lossy balun.  But it was a start.
For me, QRO and better antennas came later.)

I would endorse Steve's comments.  Obviously those who run several hundred
watts into
a big antenna make a bigger impression on the band.  Others like me have shown
that
it is still possible to have much pleasure on the band with much lower powers
and
modest antennas.  I have worked very much further than across town with my 35W
and a
loop, and nobody should be put off getting on the band because they cannot
afford or
do not have access to QRO resources.  May be a bit different in the remote
parts of
France though.

I am currently invesigating a vertical antenna at my impossible qth, however at
the
moment it seems to be an evaluation exercise as to how 'impossible' the qth is!!

73s Dave G3YMC
[email protected]
[email protected]
http://www.dsergeant.btinternet.co.uk