Re: LF: VLF NA Ebnaut

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: VLF NA Ebnaut
From: Markus Vester <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2017 05:47:16 -0500
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Paul, Stefan,

my thought was that HWU 18.3 kHz might be near enough to serve as a guide to propagational phase changes on 17.47 kHz, ultimately allowing phase corrections before stacking.

But I'm not sure about the stability of that specific transmitter. Some time around 2007, I used SpecLab's phase-amplitude-monitors (PAM) to observe diurnals on several MSK stations. 1pps lock wasn't available to me at the time, so I used a 10 kHz reference from a Jupiter GPS, which produced useful measurements despite occasional glitches due to soundcard overruns. The NATO transmitters (GBZ, GQD, NAA, NML, NLK, NWC, presumably also NPM, NDT and JXN) seemed to be impeccably on frequency with perfectly repeating phase - I speculate that these signals are actually still being used for submarine VLF navigation.  German DHO was also stable but a few ppb above nominal 23.4 kHz. French HWU was on frequency, but the phase seemed to have some random variations, which might spoil the application for our purpose. But we could fix this by comparing simultaneous observations in Europe and America.

Best 73,
Markus