Re: VLF: 300 mA on 6470 Hz

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: VLF: 300 mA on 6470 Hz
From: DK7FC <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2017 14:00:35 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Jacek, VLF,

First, let me change something in the next transmit announcement. It could make sense to start an hour earlier because the sunrise will be earlier near Moscow. Here, the QRN starts to rise at arround 16 UTC as well, so the band seems to open towards the east then. Also it makes sense to switch to 16K21A. I think Alex has 8 GB RAM so he must have a 64 bit PC, so it should work to decode 16 chars at 16K21A. It should be better for you as well, regarding timing and code efficiency. Paul will have no problem anyway :-)

f = 6470.100000 Hz
Start time: 05.October.2017  16:00:00 UTC (daily)
Symbol period: 20 s
Characters: 16
CRC bits: 19
Coding 16K21A
Duration: 12h
Antenna current: 300 mA

About QSY, a good idea.
Recently i had the idea to transmit 2 messages simultaneously, on slightly different frequencies. But we could also try +- 40 Hz apart from the resonance frequency.
Since i have a linear PA, it should work. It should even work to hold the phase and antenna current for each individual signal (for example when it starts to rain).
Since my VLF coil is relatively compact for the 1.3 H, it uses a thin wire (0.25 mm) and has a relatively low Q. This causes more losses but on the other side it is more broadbandish. So it should work to transmit on 6430 and 6510 Hz to the same time. I would need to reduce the antenna current to 70% on each frequency of course.
We could try EbNaut with the same parameter settings on both frequencies. Or we can try a simple carrier. However EbNaut is more interesting i find. It could be interesting to create an error map from both transmissions and look where differences between them can be found (XOR).
I would then use a 16K mode, so we get more symbols that can differ.
On the RX side, the noise blanker will affect both frequencies in the same way i think. But local QRM near the different transmit frequencies may have the worst effect that influence the comparison.
The 1 character message was strong enough on your side to decode even if it would be 3 dB weaker.
A lot of stuff on the list to do...

73, Stefan